Monday 14 January 2013

Travel Blog: Australia

28/12/12 - Brisbane

So we have been in Brisbane around 3 weeks now, and things are looking up.  We both have bar jobs, luckily really close to each other in a riverside complex, with gorgeous views.  Christmas was always going to be hard, on the other side of the world, so we just got on with it - it was too hot to even feel like Christmas Day anyway. We had a nice Boxing Day trip to the cinema, to see The Hobbit - with lots of "We've been there!" whispers. And that brings us up to today...the day I've been waiting for my whole life! We finally have the funds and the time to visit the largest koala sanctuary in the world, Lone Pine.  I already seen one up close in Sydney, but here in Queensland you can cuddle them and have photographs too; all proceeds of course  go towards koala habitat conservation.

It really was a dream come true.  There were koalas absolutely everywhere, they have over 100 in residency.  We sam them sleeping, eating, yawning, scratching and even jumping from branch to branch. We also saw tiny joeys nestling into their Mothers' pouches, and various other Aussie wildlife such as kangaroos, crocs, dingoes, emus and snakes.







In the queue to cuddle one, there are 2 or more different koalas with their keepers so you don't know which one you're going to get.  When it as finally my turn, my koala wouldn't sit still so they had to  go and swap him for another one! Typical, I've loved them all my life and they can't wait to get away from me!  The new one was much more well behaved though, and even nearly kissed me at one point! Its claws were very sharp though, but the scratches were so worth it.  Then it was Rik's turn, and the same thing happened to him!  His koala was trying to climb right over him, so he ended up getting a tiny cuter one which was reserved for children to hold....I was not happy! (But of course I was, I was in koala wonderland!)

Best. Day. Ever!


No comments:

Post a Comment